University of Southern California: Online Web/Content Producer and Journalist.
March 2015 – present. Los Angeles, California.
- Update and maintain Communication and Journalism School academic program pages, in the form of: posting articles and videos, embedding photos and videos, rotating featured content, posting content from other parts site as appropriate/directed.
- Work with stakeholders from Communication and Journalism school to ensure academic program pages reflect school priorities and calendar milestones.
- Other academic program page web production and editorial updates as needed.
Reimagine Magazine: Associate Editor.
May 2014 – March 2015. Los Angeles, California.
- Copy edit and proof read articles for the online magazine website.
- Post articles, videos and blog posts to the reimagine magazine website using a CMS program.
- Determine what photos and artwork correspond with what articles and blog posts.
- Write and report stories related to health and wellness for the magazine.
- Work with one of the health columnists on blog ideas and videos.
The New York Times: Stringer.
April 2014 – present. Los Angeles, California.
- December 2014: covered Los Angeles area reaction from theater-goers who attended the Christmas Day premiere of “The Interview” movie.
September 2013 – present. Los Angeles, California.
- Reported on the neighborhood of Atwater Village and Echo Park for the Los Feliz Ledger, and covered Larchmont for the Larchmont Ledger.
- Reported on health and wellness for Los Angeles-based Reimagine Magazine, a magazine that includes news and videos for people who have experienced cancer or face other life challenges.
- Covered social justice for TakePart.com, a social activism-oriented news site that covers global issues for millions of readers a month.
Santa Monica Daily Press: contract reporter.
July 2013 – Sept. 2013. Santa Monica, California.
- Reported for the Santa Monica Daily Press on development, health, transportation environment, education, business features, and city council.
Los Angeles Daily Journal: Law Firm Business Reporter.
June 2012 – May 2013. Los Angeles, California.
- Reported on major law firm partner moves, breaking news, financial stories and features.
Merced Sun-Star: City Reporter.
Aug. 2010 – June 2012. Merced, California.
- Report on city politics, high unemployment rate, homelessness, city budget issues/layoffs, Merced County water issues, California high-speed rail and Merced College for the city of Merced.
- Co-produce weekly radio show “Off the 99” and interview officials and residents in Merced County.
- Reported and helped McClatchy D.C. bureau cover the political unrest in Libya by calling contacts in Tajura, Zawiya and Tripoli and asked them about their daily living conditions and the political situation.
- Wrote a profile on the Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gadhafi that was carried in several of McClatchy’s newspapers across the U.S.
Austin American-Statesman: Part-time Editorial Assistant in Features.
Editorial assistant: June 2007 – July 2010. Intern: September 2009 – January 2010 and September 2006 – December 2006. Austin, Texas.
- Wrote “Achievements” column of Eagle Scouts, Girl Scouts and local area high schoolers’ accomplishments for the Metro section on Mondays.
- Edited and wrote the Gardening Calendar for publication on Saturdays.
- Answered phones, routed people to correct editors and reporters.
- Covered the business desk and real estate ventures for graduate and undergraduate internship credit.
The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX August 2008-May 2010
- Master’s degree from College of Communication School of Journalism.
The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX August 2003-May 2007
- Bachelor’s degree from College of Communication School of Journalism.
- Fluent in English and Urdu; fluent in Egyptian and Shaami Arabic, Punjabi and proficient in Spanish.
- Familiar with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Dream Weaver, Drupal, Final Cut Pro, intermediate HTML, WordPress, Blogspot, Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Windows Microsoft Office, Pagespeed, Hermes, Merlin.
References available upon request.